Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Human Service Agency Call Center: 1-877-410-8833

The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program is California's version of the Federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program (TANF). This program provides time-limited cash assistance to families with children. The level of assistance is based upon a variety of factors, including family size and income level. Cash benefits are issued electronically on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card.  For more information on EBT go to:

To check the balance on your EBT account go to

If your EBT Card is lost or stolen, please call:  1-877-328-9677.

CalWORKS has two primary functions – determining eligibility for aid and providing employment services to eligible recipients. The employment services program which works with CalWORKS families in Kings County is called Employment & Training Services (Welfare-to-Work).  

Who can apply for Assistance?

Any person has the right to apply for assistance. After an application is received, program eligibility will be determined.

Who is Eligible for CalWORKs?

Families are eligible if there is a minor child in the home whose parent(s) are unable to provide adequate support in cases where:
  • Either parent is deceased;
  • Either parent is physically or mentally incapacitated;
  • Principal earner is unemployed;
  • Either parent is continually absent from the home in which the child is living.

Time Limits

Adults under the CalWORKs program are limited to receiving cash benefits for a lifetime cumulative period of 48 months.