Stay up-to-date with the latest information about COVID-19 in Kings County

Public Health COVID-19County and Community Info and Reopen Kings

Main Phone
(559) 852-2479
Fax Number
(559) 582-1236

Office Location
Government Center-Bldg. 7
1400 W. Lacey Blvd.
Hanford, CA 93230

Mailing Address

Kings County Tax Collector
1400 W. Lacey Blvd.
Hanford, CA 93230

Office Hours
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Acceptable Payment Methods
Cash, Check, Money order, 
Cashiers Check, & Debit/Credit 
Card (VISA, Discover, American
Express, Mastercard)

Debit/Credit Card payments
in person only. A 2.49% merchant
convenience fee applies.

Make Checks Payable to:
Kings County Tax Collector

Unsecured Taxes

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Unsecured Property taxes are ad-valorem (value based) property tax that is a liability of the person or entity assessed for the tax.  These types of taxes are not secured to real property (such as land) and therefore, the tax is called "Unsecured."

All property that is not real property is considered "personal property" and is issued an Unsecured tax bill.  Some examples of Unsecured property would be: Business fixtures, Business Personal Property, Boats, Jet-skis, Aircraft, Aircraft Hangars, some Mobile-homes, Supplemental Escape and Pro-rated Escape Taxes on real property that has changed ownership prior to the issuance of the tax bill.


Legislation passed in 1997 (Senate Bill 1107, Chapter 546, Statutes of 1997, effective 1/1/98) amended Section 2503.2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code to give the option to the tax collector of any city, county, or city and county to implement electronic fund transfer (EFT) for the taxpayers who meet specific criteria for payment of real property taxes.

If you have been identified as a taxpayer whose tax payments equal or exceed an aggregate payment of $50,000.00, YOU ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED to pay by EFT.

Checks will not be accepted.

For questions about property taxes and related documentation contract Elena Perez at (559) 852-2471. For questions concerning wire transfer instructions or other EFT related issues, contact Megan Campbell at (559) 852-2477.

Due Dates

Unsecured tax bills are mailed out by June 30th annually and are due prior to 5:00 p.m. on August 31st.  If August 31st falls on a weekend or a legal holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day at 5:00 p.m.

Failure to submit payment by 5:00 p.m. on August 31st would require a 10% penalty charged on the date of delinquency.  Additional penalties at the rate of 1.5% per month will be charged starting the first day of the second month after the delinquency date.  These penalties will continue to accumulate until the tax is paid in full.  After delinquency the following collection methods may be used to collect the tax:

  • Liens
  • Summary Judgments
  • Legal Actions
  • Seizure and Sale of Personal Property

What if I disagree with the tax bill?

If the assessee name is incorrect, contact the Assessor at (559) 852-2486.
If the property being assessed is incorrect, contact the Assessor at (559) 852-2486.
If the value of the property is incorrect, contact the Assessor at (559) 852-2486.
For delinquency date or payment information, contact the Tax Collector at (559) 852-2479.

Do I need to pay the tax bill while appealing or talking with the Assessor about a reduction in the value assessed?

Yes. To avoid penalties, liens, or enforced collections the tax MUST be paid prior to it becoming delinquent. Should the tax be reduced later, a refund will be issued.

When is Personal Property appraised?

Personal property is appraised annually.  Each person owning taxable personal property must file a signed property statement each year with the Assessor's Office detailing the cost of all their supplies, equipment, and fixtures at each location.  To download the necessary forms, please visit the Assessor's page by Click Here.

I closed, sold, or moved my business.  What do I do?

The person or party that owned the property on January 1st is the party responsible for the Unsecured tax bill for that year.  If you closed, sold, or moved your business, please contact the Assessor's office as soon as possible at (559) 852-2486.  

What if I sold my boat or moved it out of Kings County?

If you sold your vessel or moved it out of the Kings County area, please contact the Assessor's office as soon as possible at (559) 852-2486 to ensure that the correct owner receives the bill and/or to avoid double taxation.  

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer