CDPR Finalized Pesticide Use Around Schools Regulations . . .
The California department of Pesticide regulation has adopted the official regulations regarding the use of agricultural pesticides near schools and licensed child day-care facilities. The regulations will take effect on January 1, 2018. The new rule prohibits most applications within a quarter mile around schools and day care facilities from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Additionally, the regulations require growers within the quarter mile radius to provide an annual notification no later than April 30 of pesticides they expect to be used between July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the next year. Pesticides that require use but are included on the annual notification must provided notification at least 48 hours prior to their use. Fumigants may not be applied within 36 hours of the school and/or daycare facility opening.
Prohibited applications within a quarter mile:
- Airblast sprayer or other ground application equipment that delivers spray into an air stream created by fan
- Sprinkler chemigation
- Dust or Powder, unless injected into the soil
- Fumigant, includes fumigation of stockpiles in orchards but excludes fumigation on huller/processor sites.
Prohibited applications within 25 feet:
- Ground rig sprayer
- Field soil injection equipment
- Drip or flood chemigation
No distance restriction:
- Applications made within a closed space (exception of fumigant)
- Bait stations
- Dust or powder injected into soil
- Application of granule, flake or pellet (exception of fumigant or aircraft application)
- Backpack sprayer (exception if it incorporates airblast or is used to apply dust/powder)
Hand pump sprayer (exception if used to apply dust, powder or fumigant)