What Are Other Eligibility Criteria to Qualify for IHSS?
- Income: If your income is above the SSI/SSP limits, you may be required to pay for a portion of your IHSS benefits. This is called a "Share of Cost".
- Personal property may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
- Property that is not counted in determining your eligibility includes the home you own and live in, one automobile needed for transportation to medical appointments or work, and all life insurance policies if the combined face value is not more than $1,500.
- Property that is counted includes cash on hand, checking and savings accounts, the value of stocks, bonds, trust deeds, real property other than the home you own and live in, additional automobiles and recreational vehicles, and promissory notes and loans.
- Certification - You must obtain must obtain a health care certification from a licensed health care professional indicating that you are unable to independently perform some activity of daily living and without IHSS, would be at risk for placement in out-of-home care.
Types of services authorized by IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES (IHSS):
- Meal preparation
- Grocery shopping
- Personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services)